Digital literacy - where will it lead us?

The last two weeks have been extremely intense. I thought a lot about digital literacy. I consider myself to be a fairly good person in the digital world. However, I know that there are people who are more fluent than me in this area. I wonder if I should constantly improve my digital competences, or if I do not, I will be lagging behind technology.

However, I have the impression that I am wasting my time searching for and trying new innovations in digital technology. I am a person who, before trying something will deeply check all the conditions and rules of this new thing. And I don't want to waste precious time reading, checking the regulations of some new service or tool, even if they are to raise my digital competences.

On the other hand, what does raising digital competences mean? Do I have to constantly install new applications that make life easier? Do I have to try new digital tools that will improve my work? Do I have to be constantly "in touch" so as not to miss something?

Does being constantly in the digital world cause me to miss something much more important? I have the impression that the higher my digital skill level, the less social I become. Instead of spending time with my family - I constantly check something, look for information, do online shopping and online transfers. I don't want my children to remember me as Mom with a phone in my hand.

Despite the fact that I use many amenities of the digital world and appreciate the speed with which many things can be dealt with in this way, I am terrified by the gradual separation of people from people, and the weakening of interpersonal bonds. I consider the judicious use of digital technologies to be the most important digital competence nowadays. And I wish that the phone would never replace a real contact with the family.

Comments

  1. You pointing to a general problem in the 21st century. I think, live long learning - also in the digital world - has advantages and disadvantages for the relationships in which we live and the development of our children. The news about digital tools, new technology are benificial not only in the direct use, but also as a topic for communication with others... Children will appreciate smart, knowledgable mothers, if all acteurs balance their needs. Don`t you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Helenka! I can definitely relate to your experience. I keep using new apps on my phone so that I keep up with my work or personal needs. Always aiming to be more efficient. But am I? It is good to have the opportunity here to question this. What you said "the judicious use of digital technologies to be the most important digital competence" particularly resonate with me. What do we need and why we need it? All the best to us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate your point that making sens of digital tools and using them purposefully including not to forget that people interaction and our humanity is our most precious tool rather than trying to chase some technological development that anyhow is developing much faster than we can keep up with. Thus, as you express it's more about finding the right balance and being sure of what we use for what purpose and then move to the next level of complexity when and if we are ready for it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ONL - designing the online and blended learning

Last topic - Lessons learnt - future practice